While the film was enjoyable, I kept trying to work out the meta-narrative. What we know:
- when people see they kill themselves (I would say “want to” but everyone succeeds)
- obscuring your vision keeps you safe (aka hiding under blankets, seeing only shadows)
- the thing wanting to be seen appears as nature and uses historical audio misdirection from people’s past to deceive them
- crazy people are unaffected, think it’s beautiful and want everyone to see
- blind people are completely unaffected
So, what is the monster?