The Movie Database Support

The IMDb message boards closed on this date, at right about exactly this present time, one year ago. (Was approximately midnight UK time at the start of 2/20, approx. 7:00p.m. US Eastern time on 2/19.)

All hail to TMDb Movie/TV/Celebrity message boards, and to Travis for instating them! We former IMDb message boards users are very appreciative! :hand_splayed:

145 replies (on page 5 of 10)

Jump to last post

Previous pageNext pageLast page

Something important I've just discovered: Why is it that if Googling the words "movie message boards", a particular competing site, that didn't open till the closing of the IMDb boards, pops up at tiptop of the list, yet TMDb doesn't even appear on the same first page of results? (In fact, I checked the first several pages of "movie message boards" Google search results, and it's not till on page 7 that finally a dedicated listing for TMDb appears.) This issue seems to be directly due to how the sites present their mission statement / promotional wording. Type in "movie message boards", to see the results that come up, and you'll readily see what I'm referring to. Notice how a particular competing site presents its blurb? That seems to be what is stacking the deck in its favour, people going there first to check things out (and maybe opting to stay), if someone's searching for a movie site that has message boards.

Can Travis word a text to likewise enable TMDb to come up immediately readily, obviously, and prominently in search results for anyone typing in "movie message boards"? Might it be further advantageous to additionally throw in the words "discussion boards" in order to help TMDb show up in search results (for people who might type in that alternate choice of wording)? As things are now, TMDb comes up readily and prominently if you type in "movie database", but not if you do a search for movie message boards.

I do think it's specifically the following TMDb page that's the issue, as it doesn't include the words "message boards" and "discussion boards" at all. As things are presented there now, the presentation tells of the many excellent TMDb features - but there's not even an iota of a hint that TMDb even has message/discussion boards:

https://www.themoviedb.org/about

The other site just has better search engine optimization (SEO). Maybe Travis is so busy w/other operational and content issues that he hasn't got to it yet. Part of what I do as a consultant is SEO, and from an examination of TMDb's source code it does appear that they still have some work to do.

I also see that this site still has no Wikipedia page. (A Wikipedia search of this site's full name turns up a !ist of many others w/similar names.)

I recall Travis mentioning, several months back, that due to a misunderstanding with Wikipedia back when TMDb was a new site, he's (thus TMDb) kinda blacklisted there, regarding an article being permitted.

@pt100 said:

The other site just has better search engine optimization (SEO). Maybe Travis is so busy w/other operational and content issues that he hasn't got to it yet. Part of what I do as a consultant is SEO, and from an examination of TMDb's source code it does appear that they still have some work to do.

I also see that this site still has no Wikipedia page. (A Wikipedia search of this site's full name turns up a !ist of many others w/similar names.)

Wikipedia thinks that TMDb is a spam site.

In grocery stores whoever PAYS them the most gets to have their products set in the MIDDLE of the SHELVES at EYE LEVEL where MOST people would see their product and buy it.

Products that pay the least get set down on the BOTTOM or way up on the TOP SHELVES where they're hard to reach and see by consumers.

So one also suspects something like that may also be going on with the Google search system.

I believe that the competing site, that's coming up first in "movie message boards" search results, is essentially a "poor" site, as it only started a year ago, so wouldn't be too likely to be raking in the dough. (Having said that, advertisements were introduced to that particular site during 2017. That's something I think it's safe to say none of us on TMDb would be eager to see junking things up here, is product advertisement banners across the screen.)

Yes exactly. It's probably further up the chain due to the use of the AD's who probably pay to place it there. And yes no one likes AD's popping up into one's face all of the time.

Can somebody please explain to me what the hell are those APIs? T seems many complain TMDB is just a site for "APIs" or something like that.

I never fully understood what's that.

@Harry Skywalker said:

Can sombody please explain to me what the hell are those APIs? T seems many complain TMDB is just a site for "APIs" or something like that.

I never fully understood what's that.

In computer terms, think of it almost like a kind of universal translator. It allows for different kinds of software to work with others. It serves as a kind of bridge.

From Wikipedia: "The API describes and prescribes the expected behavior (a specification) while the library is an actual implementation of this set of rules. A single API can have multiple implementations (or none, being abstract) in the form of different libraries that share the same programming interface. The separation of the API from its implementation can allow programs written in one language to use a library written in another. For example, because Scala and Java compile to compatible bytecode, Scala developers can take advantage of any Java API"

Application programming interface

@genplant29 said:

I believe that the competing site, that's coming up first in "movie message boards" search results, is essentially a "poor" site, as it only started a year ago, so wouldn't be too likely to be raking in the dough. (Having said that, advertisements were introduced to that particular site during 2017. That's something I think it's safe to say none of us on TMDb would be eager to see junking things up here, is product advertisement banners across the screen.)

Gen, I can't be 100% sure but 'moviechat' (that is the one you are referring to?) is owned by Amazon who basically owns IMDb, Alexa,etc.

Something to do (that I've done a couple different times, already) is add a new comment to that "Save IMDb Message Boards" petition (that of course did absolutely no good), suggesting that people give TMDb a look and try. People still do actually access and look at that petition, as its link was included in numerous IMDb threads, on various movies'/shows'/celebrities' boards, just before the IMDb boards closed. Those old threads remain readily findable by anyone who happens upon one of them on one or the other of the sites that present the archived old message boards content. I've, throughout the last several months, a number of times spotted archived threads with that link in it. (I absolutely never, ever post on the competing sites, or on the archived boards - and never will - but do often look up the boards for this or that old movie, show, or actor/actress after watching something.)

Here's the petition I've mentioned:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going

As you can see, while the petition itself is utterly useless regarding saving the IMDb message boards, people, all over the place, do wind up now and then inevitably accessing it, and some have been adding new comments there throughout the months, including in recent weeks. I last left a comment there on Dec. 4. If even 2-3 new people check out TMDb as a result, that's something. It at least puts TMDb's name where someone new, who's interested in movie/t.v. message boards, might readily notice it.

By the way, you have to click on "See more" (which appears in medium orange) that's to the left of "Sign in to comment" if wishing to be able to see what others have commented throughout the months.

@genplant29 said:

Something to do (that I've done a couple different times, already) is add a new comment to that "Save IMDb Message Boards" petition (that of course did absolutely no good), suggesting that people give TMDb a look and try. People still do actually access and look at that petition, as its link was included in numerous IMDb threads, on various movies'/shows'/celebrities' boards, just before the IMDb boards closed. Those old threads remain readily findable by anyone who happens upon one of them on one or the other of the sites that present the archived old message boards content. I've, throughout the last several months, a number of times spotted archived threads with that link in it. (I absolutely never, ever post on the competing sites, or on the archived boards - and never will - but do often look up the boards for this or that old movie, show, or actor/actress after watching something.)

Here's the petition I've mentioned:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going

As you can see, while the petition itself is utterly useless regarding saving the IMDb message boards, people, all over the place, do wind up now and then inevitably accessing it, and some have been adding new comments there throughout the months, including in recent weeks. I last left a comment there on Dec. 4. If even 2-3 new people check out TMDb as a result, that's something. It at least puts TMDb's name where someone new, who's interested in movie/t.v. message boards, might readily notice it.

By the way, you have to click on "See more" (which appears in medium orange) that's to the left of "Sign in to comment" if wishing to be able to see what others have commented throughout the months.

Ms. Anonymous, I signed it back when it was first created but I signed it again today & left the message below:

To heck with IMDB! Come to TMDb.com instead!

@Bunny Sprite said:

@Harry Skywalker said:

Can sombody please explain to me what the hell are those APIs? T seems many complain TMDB is just a site for "APIs" or something like that.

I never fully understood what's that.

In computer terms, think of it almost like a kind of universal translator. It allows for different kinds of software to work with others. It serves as a kind of bridge.

From Wikipedia: "The API describes and prescribes the expected behavior (a specification) while the library is an actual implementation of this set of rules. A single API can have multiple implementations (or none, being abstract) in the form of different libraries that share the same programming interface. The separation of the API from its implementation can allow programs written in one language to use a library written in another. For example, because Scala and Java compile to compatible bytecode, Scala developers can take advantage of any Java API"

Application programming interface

But what has that got to do with TMDB? Why is TMDB "sellng APIs" or something like that?

The words MESSAGE BOARDS should be put on TMDB. It's essential.

It's probably got something to do with the use of SMART PHONES or I PHONES.

How the hell can you compose a message on those things???

Is it possible to type what you want to say on those tiny little key pads?

Does one compose messages here by speaking into them???

APLICATION does stand for APS doesn't it???

And APS are also some kind of a SHORTCUT SITUATION???

Here's an article that explains how APPS are so you don't FRISBIE your PHONE:

https://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/what-are-apps-and-how-do-they-work-with-your-smartphone--1141429

:grinning: