Discuss Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Wow, I just read Bruce's daughter Shannon is seriously pissed off about the portrayal of him in the movie. Can't say I blame her. Article Contains spoilers !!

Tarantino's depiction was not only gutsy in all it's glorious heresy, but more accurate than the more pious depictions of BL we're typically subjected to

@mechajutaro said:

Everytime someone talks shit about Bruce Lee, all I hear is blah blah, I'm just jelly that he gets so much attention. It's easy to say shit that you don't have to back up cause he's dead.

@Innovator said:

@mechajutaro said:

Yeah; it's jealously that compels one to depict Lee(or anyone else who's been deified and mythologized)as a flesh and blood human being, no more or less flawed than the rest of us mere mortals

@mechajutaro said:

@Innovator said:

@mechajutaro said:

What else would you call it when one tries to knock the legacy of a dead man down to feel better about themselves? That's just low and petty.

I thought it was pretty damn funny. The hair, the face, the look, the sound of his voice, the build...a lot of work went into recreating his persona. Now I'm not laughing at Bruce Lee, but that whole scene was classic Tarantino and how he thinks of such things to write in a movie script he's working on, and then to have it acted out in front of a motion picture camera. I'm sure Tarantino had to be giggling to himself coming up with that idea, and then to actually see it playing out on the big screen had to be one big...no really huge sparkling gem. I know there are those who can write a movie script, but not many end up creating it with big movie budget financing that includes wide distribution. Just give that a thought for a moment.

When I saw it, it was amazing to me how they had him portrayed as a regular human being; surrounded by his working buddies, and yet still acting in a way that anyone of us could imagine him being totally serious...really, a synonym of himself (that's a lot of that humor there!) All anyone would have to do is think where HE was coming from...working hard to be noticed by American audiences, overcoming any and all obstacles in his own country, to overcome all forces against him whether it's Government, social and all negative comments from those within his own circle suggesting he probably wouldn't account to anything. He makes it to America playing a small part in a 1960s TV show and looks around at the American crew out in that parking lot I'm sure seeing those who don't do anything to keep themselves fit, people overweight not doing anything to better themselves, just going through the motions just to make to the end of the day. Everything to Bruce was serious, and was to be taken seriously. He was giving a pep talk to those surrounding him, letting others know what it took for him to be were he was that day, what they could do to better themselves...then someone mocks him, starts laughing at what he's saying; Bruce being who he is wants to stand behind his own words and set out to show that anyone can do anything no matter what obstacle...no one is Bruce's peer, Bruce is above all that but not in a demeaning way. Mr Lee was acting like a mentor for those around him who would respect and look up to him. The genuineness of it all. Did anyone notice the names people called him during that scene? Mostly it was Bruce, and there was Mr Lee, and I noticed someone called him Kato like anyone else would who may only know him as the character he plays...he answers to all of him. Bruce is proud of the character he plays.

Then he gets slammed against a car. Priceless!

Thank you Mr Tarantino for all the entertainment you bring to our lives, and how little I and everyone else have to bring to enjoy your genius.

s focus the search bar
p open profile menu
esc close an open window
? open keyboard shortcut window

On media pages

e go to edit page

On TV season pages

(right arrow) go to next season
(left arrow) go to previous season

On TV episode pages

(right arrow) go to next episode
(left arrow) go to previous episode

On all image pages

a open add image window

On all edit pages

t open translation selector
ctrl+ s submit form

On discussion pages

n create new discussion
w toggle watching status
p toggle public/private
c toggle close/open
a open activity
r reply to discussion
l go to last reply
ctrl+ enter submit your message
(right arrow) next page