Discuss Mortal Engines

So, what do people think of the casing so far? (I've just added a couple more members). I'll always think of Robert Sheehan as Nathan from Misfits, and I liked Ronan Rafferty in Moone Boy and Fantastic Beasts. I've seen Hera in things, but not really registered her. They're all considerably older that their book counterparts (for the two "ongoing" characters this might help if they make it to he end of the series) and I'm finding it hard to believe that they'll scar someone as pretty as Hera, but we'll see.

...also wondering how many films Jihae is contracted for and whether she knows what's in store for her character.

@M. LeMarchand said:

You were right! They gave her a pretty scar. I read the book and was excited to see the film until I saw the trailer.

@MirrorMask said:

The film's enjoyable - every "real" person I know who's seen it liked it. (A mixture of book fans and newbies, but no"sacred text" type fans). It doesn't look like it's going to matter how many films the cast are contracted for, though. I'm trying to take solace in the fact that if they bottled Hester's scar, they'd be unlikely to keep the ending intact - though the voice-over at the start suggested that at least part of it may have held true to the books.

@M. LeMarchand said:

@MirrorMask said:

I hated it. [Spoilers].

There was no world building to make you understand why people were against each other. There was no reason given why the mobile cities thought that people from static cities were the bad guys and terrorists. The motivations of Valentine and those in London make no sense at all. They didn't even explain why there was a need for large roving cities when it is established that static cities exist. The battle scenes should have been epic, however 85% of the time it was hidden by shaky cams and close ups of people's faces (so you could only hear what was going on). WTF Peter Jackson, I expected better from you. There was also that weird moment they tried to make you feel for Shrike, but up to the point of his death you only got a feeling that he was an immortal death machine that wanted to assimilated Hester. The flash backs during his death scene came too late to make you feel anything for him, and just came off as strange. This movie was terrible, and if I had seen it in IMAX (as I'm apt to with event movies like this) I would have been pissed off just by the number of closeups in this movie alone (I don't go to IMAX showing just to look up people's noses).

@M. LeMarchand said:

Hugo Weaving but the film looks like a car crash the cast looks like they'll need casts from this trainwreck. Cities on wheelbarrows? Christ!

Most of the cast is unknown to me. But god job. I liked this movie. I also really enjoyed John Carter, and Jupiter Riding, oh, and Valerian also. Critics pawned those movies. I liked them cuz they were visually original, well done, and pretty good script. This movie is just the same. I LIKE it!

Go back to watching "the Guiding Light", "Dallas", "As the world Turns", etc. Never turn those off!!! NEVER! Otherwise you will be disappointed again.

@TalisBriedis said:

I do find that too many people follow the lead of the critics blindly, and quote Rotten Tomatoes ratings as if they're holy scripture. I will read reviews if I'm on the fence about a film and maybe wait until a movie is released to one of the film channels etc rather than go to the cinema, but if I've decided a film looks like one I'll enjoy, I'll see it. I see very few films I dislike this way.

Like you, there are films I loved that critics and audiences rejected: Tarzan and A Winter's Tale spring to mind. People should make up their own minds.

I have to admit that I'm slightly bemused by some of the criticisms of Mortal Engines which take to task parts of the film that were present in the original award winning books!

s focus the search bar
p open profile menu
esc close an open window
? open keyboard shortcut window

On media pages

e go to edit page

On TV season pages

(right arrow) go to next season
(left arrow) go to previous season

On TV episode pages

(right arrow) go to next episode
(left arrow) go to previous episode

On all image pages

a open add image window

On all edit pages

t open translation selector
ctrl+ s submit form

On discussion pages

n create new discussion
w toggle watching status
p toggle public/private
c toggle close/open
a open activity
r reply to discussion
l go to last reply
ctrl+ enter submit your message
(right arrow) next page