Discuss Solo: A Star Wars Story

Hahaha Disney is scared to fire a powerful woman. But the odds of her even actually touching SW is slim to none. Rumor has it she will be very micro managed. So probably just a move by Disney to save face and not piss off SJWs. Still sad, just shows what a different world Hollywood is and how out of touch they are.

21 replies (on page 1 of 2)

Jump to last post

Next pageLast page

You're taking this all WAY too seriously.

@Gus Gorman said:

You're taking this all WAY too seriously.

Ummm Im just updating people on the person who basically ruined SW...on a film board...how is this to seriously?

She's done a fine job thus far.

@Tector_lives said:

She's done a fine job thus far.

Lol yeah, fans, critics, and box office statistics would disagree with you on that.

@OddRob said:

@Tector_lives said:

She's done a fine job thus far.

Lol yeah, fans, critics, and box office statistics would disagree with you on that.

Some fans, some critics and one box office statistic.

See when the opposite outcome results from your imagined set of circumstances? It's time to stop believing your own deluded wish fulfilment as if it were fact.

@OddRob said:

Hahaha Disney is scared to fire a powerful woman. But the odds of her even actually touching SW is slim to none. Rumor has it she will be very micro managed. So probably just a move by Disney to save face and not piss off SJWs. Still sad, just shows what a different world Hollywood is and how out of touch they are.

Source, please. That sounds more like wishful fantasy than verifiable and reliable. Nothing in her history hints that she would accept such an arrangement. She's one of if not the most powerful producers in Hollywood and any other studio would take her in a heartbeat. I'm as disappointed in the "new" SW franchise as many, but it's silly to make statements like these.

Let's talk next year when, despite the failures of Solo and the backlash against TLJ, Abrams delivers a fan-pleasing conclusion that breaks the box office record set by TFA. It's not because I think it will be a great film, mind you, but because the committee at Kennedy's LucasFilm will huddle with J.J. "God, I Wish I was Spielberg!" Abrams will hit every fandom nerve they can possibly hit to ensure it succeeds. (Look for Rian Johnson's alterations to be blunted if not wholly erased.)

@OddRob said:

@Tector_lives said:

She's done a fine job thus far.

Lol yeah, fans, critics, and box office statistics would disagree with you on that.

Fans: yes, some very vocal ones. But are they the majority? How can you possibly tally them?

Critics: If you're talking MOVIE critics, you're dead wrong. Every one of her SW movies have been critically well-liked, even Solo.

Box Office: Now you're just off your rocker. The only movie that failed was Solo (275M budget, 390M cume, definitely lost money). Every single other movie has grossed $1B+, even Rogue One.

@AlienFanatic said:

@OddRob said:

@Tector_lives said:

She's done a fine job thus far.

Lol yeah, fans, critics, and box office statistics would disagree with you on that.

Fans: yes, some very vocal ones. But are they the majority? How can you possibly tally them?

Critics: If you're talking MOVIE critics, you're dead wrong. Every one of her SW movies have been critically well-liked, even Solo.

Box Office: Now you're just off your rocker. The only movie that failed was Solo (275M budget, 390M cume, definitely lost money). Every single other movie has grossed $1B+, even Rogue One.

Not some fans, a large amount of them. This goes hand in hand with the box office. TFA made 2 billion, TLJ made 1.3 billion and Solo made 392 million. See a trend? Now tell me shes doing a great job. As for the critics, honestly they really dont count. Most are paid shills and the others dont want to upset Disney. The only thing that matters is the money.

Source, please. That sounds more like wishful fantasy than verifiable and reliable.

Ugh it was in a video I saw on youtube. Dont remember the name, but they said its just a rumor. So dont know how accurate it is. Honestly it could go both ways. She can just remain as producer in name only to save face and be more hands off. And I dont think Abrams is going to be able to bring it back, not after what Johnson left him with. Will it be better than TLJ yes, but will it be enough to bring it back to its glory....dont think so.

Oddrob, it's not that I WANT to disagree with you but that I think that evidence points to her continued reign. Star Wars as a property is damn hard to kill, permanently. Lucas did a helluva job screwing up TPM and AOTC and only made a mild comeback with ROTS. Kennedy will survive Solo. Yes, the boxoffice for the "main" movies declined because Johnson decided to be a dick and poke fans in the eye. (It made some folks happy that he was "edgy" but I'm in the group that thinks that making Luke a dick and having him drink big blue titmilk was an asshole move.) So we'll see, but I wouldn't bet against JJ and Kennedy at this point.

@AlienFanatic said:

Oddrob, it's not that I WANT to disagree with you but that I think that evidence points to her continued reign. Star Wars as a property is damn hard to kill, permanently. Lucas did a helluva job screwing up TPM and AOTC and only made a mild comeback with ROTS. Kennedy will survive Solo. Yes, the boxoffice for the "main" movies declined because Johnson decided to be a dick and poke fans in the eye. (It made some folks happy that he was "edgy" but I'm in the group that thinks that making Luke a dick and having him drink big blue titmilk was an asshole move.) So we'll see, but I wouldn't bet against JJ and Kennedy at this point.

Honestly we dont know whats going to happen. Hell Im sure even some of the people working on SW dont know whats going to happen next. I just find it very fascinating how some people can take such a huge franchise and almost kill it. Im a big fan of box office statistics and what makes a movie succeed or fail. Reviews dont mean anything anymore, I think most people are pressured now a days by social media to give certain films good reviews and others bad ones. Or we have the ones that are just jumping on the bandwagon of whats cool at the moment. As for JJ and Kennedy I hope they can bring this ship around but again, I have my doubts. But I am a pessimist at heart so who knows!

Jesus what a load of baloney. Star Wars is nowhere near killed.

@Tector_lives said:

Jesus what a load of baloney. Star Wars is nowhere near killed.

Not yet, but another flop/complete BS story that the fans dont accept and it will lose more and more money. But honestly, I dont think SW could actually be killed, just chipped away at slowly to where it wont be a power house anymore.

"...the fans..."

Try again.

@AlienFanatic said:

Fans: yes, some very vocal ones.

There is a theory that a sizeable proportion of these so-called fans might not be fans (or even human): https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-last-jedi-was-targeted-by-russian-trolls-study-says-1148475

@M. LeMarchand said:

@AlienFanatic said:

Fans: yes, some very vocal ones.

There is a theory that a sizeable proportion of these so-called fans might not be fans (or even human): https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-last-jedi-was-targeted-by-russian-trolls-study-says-1148475

Russian trolls oh thats a good one!!

Global

s focus the search bar
p open profile menu
esc close an open window
? open keyboard shortcut window

On media pages

b go back (or to parent when applicable)
e go to edit page

On TV season pages

(right arrow) go to next season
(left arrow) go to previous season

On TV episode pages

(right arrow) go to next episode
(left arrow) go to previous episode

On all image pages

a open add image window

On all edit pages

t open translation selector
ctrl+ s submit form

On discussion pages

n create new discussion
w toggle watching status
p toggle public/private
c toggle close/open
a open activity
r reply to discussion
l go to last reply
ctrl+ enter submit your message
(right arrow) next page
(left arrow) previous page