Discuss Shazam!

$53.4 million opening weekend (domestic) is the lowest DCEU opening weekend ever.

24 replies (on page 1 of 2)

Jump to last post

Next pageLast page

Looks like everyone decided to spend their money on End Game advanced tickets instead of watching this movie (or rewatching Captain Marvel who only had a 39% drop this weekend).

It's not doing that well in China either, making only $30.9 mil and a Douban score of 6.7 (to compare Captain Marvel did $89.3 mil in China's opening and had a Douban score of 7.2). Apparently, the comedy isn't translating well to a Chinese audience.

Seen this at our Theater instead of having Shazam in the main AVHX DBOX theater they had Dumbo in that one for some reason and Shazam in a tiny one and the funny thing Shazam was packed and Dumbo had literally no one so wonder if Disney is renting Theater spaces to ruin DCs box office

@mcse2000ca said:

Seen this at our Theater instead of having Shazam in the main AVHX DBOX theater they had Dumbo in that one for some reason and Shazam in a tiny one and the funny thing Shazam was packed and Dumbo had literally no one so wonder if Disney is renting Theater spaces to ruin DCs box office

Would not be a tad surprised..Disney is a powerful company, won't get into the "pre-bought" Capt Marvel tix for...NO-ONE!

Nowhere was the box office considered a written up as a"dissapointment" (unlike Dumbo )...it made slightly over its B.O. tracking and already at $158 mill worldwide! Read more Here It was never gonna make Aquaman type numbers & wasn't expected too...

@Innovator said:

Looks like everyone decided to spend their money on End Game advanced tickets instead of watching this movie (or rewatching Captain Marvel who only had a 39% drop this weekend).

It's not doing that well in China either, making only $30.9 mil and a Douban score of 6.7 (to compare Captain Marvel did $89.3 mil in China's opening and had a Douban score of 7.2). Apparently, the comedy isn't translating well to a Chinese audience.

WB's release strategy for this film was all wrong.

Poor trailers.

Previews 2 weeks before general release meant that all the positive buzz had evaporated.

Releasing it in between a billion dollar MCU flick and a potential 2 billion dollar MCU flick.

@Gus Gorman said:

@Innovator said:

Looks like everyone decided to spend their money on End Game advanced tickets instead of watching this movie (or rewatching Captain Marvel who only had a 39% drop this weekend).

It's not doing that well in China either, making only $30.9 mil and a Douban score of 6.7 (to compare Captain Marvel did $89.3 mil in China's opening and had a Douban score of 7.2). Apparently, the comedy isn't translating well to a Chinese audience.

WB's release strategy for this film was all wrong.

Poor trailers.

Previews 2 weeks before general release meant that all the positive buzz had evaporated.

Releasing it in between a billion dollar MCU flick and a potential 2 billion dollar MCU flick.

Not to mention Disney's deep pockets

The 2 weeks preview before general release was a terrible idea. I dont know why any studio would agree to this. I think it is tracking to do Ant Man numbers currently. Unless word of mouth gets out that it is amazing, it could turn into a Jumanji type of situation.

Monday $3.05 million

Tuesday $4.9 million

Domestic total $64.7 million

Interestingly its first 5 days (domestically) are similar to Green Lantern.

@Gus Gorman said:

Monday $3.05 million

Tuesday $4.9 million

Wednesday $2.6 million

Wow, a daily check B.O. check in...interesting.

Don't know what the validity of a daily box Office considering Disney notoriously buys seats

@mcse2000ca said:

Don't know what the validity of a daily box Office considering Disney notoriously buys seats

Why would Disney buy seats to a WB movie? Also, please explain Dumbo's low numbers?

@mcse2000ca said:

Don't know what the validity of a daily box Office considering Disney notoriously buys seats

Not 100% confirmed. But we all know they bought RT off, so that site is useless.

@OddRob said:

@mcse2000ca said:

Don't know what the validity of a daily box Office considering Disney notoriously buys seats

Not 100% confirmed. But we all know they bought RT off, so that site is useless.

Dumbo got 47% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a low 58% audience score. Also it's only made $79,878,510 domestic after 2 weeks, and $18,588,560 in China. You'd think Disney had more pull than that, considering how y'all are claiming they have so much power.

@Innovator said:

@OddRob said:

@mcse2000ca said:

Don't know what the validity of a daily box Office considering Disney notoriously buys seats

Not 100% confirmed. But we all know they bought RT off, so that site is useless.

Dumbo got 47% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a low 58% audience score. Also it's only made $79,878,510 domestic after 2 weeks, and $18,588,560 in China. You'd think Disney had more pull than that, considering how y'all are claiming they have so much power.

They only use their powers when absolutely necessary. They knew from the start Dumbo wasnt going to be huge success. No need to use the dark Sith powers for it. They will make up for it with streaming/DVD sales. RT and Disney are corrupt as shit. Same as all major companies, part of the game. Good examples of the evil Sith powers would be the new Star Wars films, they cant let those get bad reviews and also the new Captain Marvel, nah they need the MCU and SW to keep succeeding no matter what.

@OddRob said:

@Innovator said:

@OddRob said:

@mcse2000ca said:

Don't know what the validity of a daily box Office considering Disney notoriously buys seats

Not 100% confirmed. But we all know they bought RT off, so that site is useless.

Dumbo got 47% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a low 58% audience score. Also it's only made $79,878,510 domestic after 2 weeks, and $18,588,560 in China. You'd think Disney had more pull than that, considering how y'all are claiming they have so much power.

They only use their powers when absolutely necessary. They knew from the start Dumbo wasnt going to be huge success. No need to use the dark Sith powers for it. They will make up for it with streaming/DVD sales. RT and Disney are corrupt as shit. Same as all major companies, part of the game. Good examples of the evil Sith powers would be the new Star Wars films, they cant let those get bad reviews and also the new Captain Marvel, nah they need the MCU and SW to keep succeeding no matter what.

Didn't help the Solo film not flop hard, did it? $213,767,512 Domestic, $392,924,807 WW with a $275 million production budget.

Global

s focus the search bar
p open profile menu
esc close an open window
? open keyboard shortcut window

On media pages

b go back (or to parent when applicable)
e go to edit page

On TV season pages

(right arrow) go to next season
(left arrow) go to previous season

On TV episode pages

(right arrow) go to next episode
(left arrow) go to previous episode

On all image pages

a open add image window

On all edit pages

t open translation selector
ctrl+ s submit form

On discussion pages

n create new discussion
w toggle watching status
p toggle public/private
c toggle close/open
a open activity
r reply to discussion
l go to last reply
ctrl+ enter submit your message
(right arrow) next page
(left arrow) previous page