Discuti Excalibur

Based on Le Morte d'Arthur, Excalibur has it all, all the most important aspects of the legend are there, in one movie, with great performances with Helen Mirren and Nicol Williamson providing the stand out performances.

The music adds to the epic level of it all, but I do wish it was cut into two films or maybe three and with a bigger budget for battle scenes, but saying that no King Arthur movie before or since has come close to this portrayal of the legend of King Arthur.

I've little hope for the Guy Ritchie effort, but maybe one day we'll get a Film trilogy or TV series that equals the magnificence of Excalibur.

9 risposte (nella pagina 1 di 1)

Jump to last post

I agree in all aspects ,it s the best King Arthur movie by far

@germanjoaquin said:

I agree in all aspects ,it s the best King Arthur movie by far

Totally! Beautifully filmed!

Excalibur is my favorite by far but it is far from perfect. I think this is due to the fact that you can't really tell the entire legend in one film and give it justice. Post the Lancelot/Guinevere betrayal the film takes a down turn where the pacing seems rushed and half-assed. But hands down, this has the best Merlin ever.

I actually watched it since it was recommended from new Arthur film board. I was confused if it was a bit comedy, reminded me of Monty Python & Princess Bride. Must be because of the way they talked and it looks so old, plus most films these days try to be edgy & dark and this was easy to watch.

So glad to see the actors when they were younger esp Helen & Liam. It is entertaining and it satisfied my craving for knowing the Arthur story - i just knew bits & pieces like round table, Merlin & the sword in the stone (also the love triangle with Lancelot). But had no idea about the entire story so I was like what the hell - with the sister story lol.

Now contemplating if I should watch the Keira Knightley or Richard Gere version.

@lmao7 said:

Now contemplating if I should watch the Keira Knightley or Richard Gere version.

Oh gawd! You might as well ask which is the preferred method of execution, disembowelment or burned at the stake.

@movie_nazi said:

@lmao7 said:

Now contemplating if I should watch the Keira Knightley or Richard Gere version.

Oh gawd! You might as well ask which is the preferred method of execution, disembowelment or burned at the stake.

Lol yes, one or 2 more Arthur films :joy: while I'm interested in the story wanna see like at least 3-4 adaptations.

@lmao7 said:

@movie_nazi said:

@lmao7 said:

Now contemplating if I should watch the Keira Knightley or Richard Gere version.

Oh gawd! You might as well ask which is the preferred method of execution, disembowelment or burned at the stake.

Lol yes, one or 2 more Arthur films :joy: while I'm interested in the story wanna see like at least 3-4 adaptations.

Unfortunately there haven’t been many worthwhile adaptions since, they usually fail because they want to be PC or have a terrible story by trying to update the legend.

First Knight was awful, Connery is usually good but was woefully miscast as Arthur, whilst the age range of the love triangle was just plain weird, Arthur was in his 60's, Lancelot in his 40's and Guinevere was in her 20's.

The movie with Keira Knightley is watchable but pretty laughable all the same, it left me wishing they'd adapted Bernard Cornwell's Winter King instead.

Give the Camelot show a miss too, it came out the same year as Game of Thrones but only lasted one season!

Merlin by the BBC was an awful PC mess too, almost as bad as their Robin Hood TV show.

@NotoriousRio said:

Give the Camelot show a miss too, it came out the same year as Game of Thrones but only lasted one season!

Actually Camelot had great potential. Not sure why it didn't last. Showtime is notorious for canceling shows prematurely. But Eva Green as Morgana is absolutely stunning. Worth it for her alone.

@movie_nazi said:

@NotoriousRio said:

Give the Camelot show a miss too, it came out the same year as Game of Thrones but only lasted one season!

Actually Camelot had great potential. Not sure why it didn't last. Showtime is notorious for canceling shows prematurely. But Eva Green as Morgana is absolutely stunning. Worth it for her alone.

The angst ridden teen who played King Arthur single handily ruined it. Worst portrayal ever.

Globale

s focalizza la barra di ricerca
p apri menu profilo
esc chiudi una finestra aperta
? apri finestra scorciatoia tastiera

Su tutte le pagine di media

b torna indietro (o al precedente quando applicabile)
e vai alla pagina di modifica

Nelle pagine delle stagioni TV

(freccia destra) vai alla stagione successiva
(freccia sinistra) vai alla stagione precedente

Nelle pagine degli episodi TV

(freccia destra) vai all'episodio successivo
(freccia sinistra) vai all'episodio precedente

Su tutte le pagine di immagini

a apri finestra aggiungi immagine

Su tutte le pagine di modifica

t apri selettore traduzione
ctrl+ s invia modulo

Sulle pagine di discussione

n crea nuova discussione
w segna come visto/non visto
p cambia publico/privato
c cambia chiuso/aperto
a apri attivita
r rispondi alla discussione
l vai all'ultima risposta
ctrl+ enter invia il tuo messaggio
(freccia destra) pagina successiva
(freccia sinistra) pagina precedente